My Family's Bubble

Finishing my 24-hour journey with my family has been nothing short of eye-opening. From sunrise to midnight, I've witnessed a lot of habits, attitudes, and activities that show a portrait of who we are as a unit. 

The Morning 

The day starts with me waking up at 2:00 o'clock in the morning getting ready for work. I hear my parents snoring from the hall and my cat crying like a child. I'm not one to eat in the morning so a quick brush of my teeth and change of clothes and I'm out for the next 7 hours. 

The Afternoon 

As the sun goes higher in the sky until its 11:00 o'clock and I clock out for the day, Once I get home the apartment transforms into a hub of rest and quiet like a library. From my mom's tiring day with kids, to my dad's day driving all day sometimes the art of silence speaks louder than words. We all join for a meal and briefly talk about our day before I go to sleep for the day mostly. We take turn feeding the cat periodically when I'm awake, and focus on ourselves.  

The Evening 

While I sleep my parents indulge in food, cinema, and health. Culinary is a huge part of our lives, and it's very evident in our daily eats, my mom spends most of the evening cleaning and cooking food for the day of or the following, my dad like a typical male just eats, laughs, and shits most days, but is a compassionate, and smart man who has put his leg out on the road for his family. Both spend most of their time in the living room watching Mexican soap operas or working out in the living room when unoccupied 

Nighttime 

During the night is when the beast of myself awakens from my long nap, most days what I'm woken up to is the sound of my cat, and mom arguing because my aging cat is very vocal, and food dominate. Getting out of bed my mom always offers me food, and my dad is always getting out the shower or in bed. As hours go by we all transition from what the other was doing. While I was sleeping, my parents were awake, but when I'm awake my parents are sleeping.  

Surprising Revelations:

The biggest thing that I was able to take away from this little experience was that I'm not as present as I would like to be around the house, and just in my family's daily life. Which is a really scary revelation because one day I will not have the privilege of being able to just talk or say I love you to them. This experience has made think about what it is that's truly important, and what things I need to prioritize in my own life in order to not only be a good son, but also satisfy my own soul. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Design and Research Shaped a Product

Crafting Your Digital Voice